Shaquille O Neal Biography- Shaquille O’Neill, also known by his nickname Shaq, is a former American basketball player as well as a former rapper. With a height of over 7 feet and a weight of around 150 kg, he was one of the heaviest NBA players ever. Joining the NBA when he was in his early twenties, he soon became one of the most influential players in NBA history, helping his teams earn not only the NBA Championship but also Olympic Gold. (Shaquille O Neal Bio)
O’Neill eventually retired in his late thirties. As well as being a successful basketball player, he is also an actor, and has mostly appeared in supporting roles in films such as “Grown Ups 2” and “Blended” as well as several TV shows such as “Uncle Grandpa”. ‘off to school’. He is also a rapper and has released four music albums so far, his latest being ‘Respect’. He currently works as an analyst on the popular TV program ‘Inside the NBA’. (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
Childhood and Early Life
- Shaquille O’Neill was born on 6 March 1972 in Newark, New Jersey, United States to Lucille O’Neill and Joe Tony. Since his father Tony was arrested for drug possession when Shaquille was still an infant, he relinquished his parental rights to O’Neill’s stepfather, Philip A. Harrison, a sergeant in the military.
- He worked with Robert G. of San Antonio Texas. Cole completed his graduation from high school, after which he went to Louisiana State University to study business. To pursue his career in the NBA, he dropped out in the year 1992. (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
Career In Basketball
- Shaquille O’Neill was selected by the team Orlando Magic during the 1992 NBA Draft. He played brilliantly during the season with an average of 23.4 points on 56.2% shooting, 13.9 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game.
- He performed brilliantly in the years to come and in 1996, he was selected for the Olympics to play for the country as a part of the United States Olympic basketball team. Held in Atlanta, Georgia, the tournament proved to be one of the toughest and biggest challenges of his entire career. (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
- In the year 2000, Shakeel was named as the NBA’s Most Valuable Player. He was signed by the Los Angeles Lakers to a three-year contract worth $88.5 million. Despite the fact that he helped the team to three consecutive World Championships (2000, 2001 and 2002), he had a tough stint with them. He had several disagreements with team members, which led to him being sold to Team Miami Heat.
see also Mike Tyson Biography- Childhood, Career, Awards and Achievements, etc
- In 2006, he helped the Miami Heat capture the NBA Championship, which also marked the fourth championship win of O’Neal’s career. (Shaquille O Neal Bio)
- In February 2008, O’Neill began playing for the Phoenix Suns. However, in his early games with the team, he mostly suffered losses, for which O’Neill took the blame saying that he was not in line with the other players.
- Later in June 2009, he joined the Cleveland Cavaliers, and played for them in the 2009–2010 season. During this season, he also became the oldest NBA player in the history of the game. By now his importance as a player had also diminished considerably. (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
- On 1 June 2011, after playing for a period of nineteen years, O’Neill announced his retirement via social media.
Career In Music
- Shaquille O’Neal started composing rap music in the year 1993. In the same year his debut album ‘Shak Diesel’ was released. With tracks such as ‘I’m Outstanding’ and ‘Let Me In, Let Me In’, the album was a huge success.
- Although it received mostly negative reviews, it peaked at number 25 on the Billboard 200. It eventually reached platinum status the following year. (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
- His next album ‘Shaka Fu: D Return’ was released in 1994. Although it was not as successful as their first album, it was still a moderate success. It peaked at number 67 on the Billboard 200.
see also Brad Pitt Biography- Childhood, Career, Awards and Achievements
- Their third and fourth albums, ‘You Can Stop the Reagan’, and ‘Respect’, were released in 1996 and 1998, respectively. While his third album peaked at number 82 on the Billboard 200, his fourth album fared better and peaked at number 58. (Shaquille O Neal Bio)
- He also composed a fifth album, Shaquille O’Neill Presents His Superfriends, Vol. 1′. Although it was supposed to release in the year 2001, it was never released. (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
Career In Acting
- The 1994 basketball drama Blue Chips marked the debut of Shaquille O’Neal’s acting career. Directed by William Friedkin, the film stars Nick Nolte, Mary McDonnell, Ed O’Neill, J. T. Walsh and Alfre Woodard also starred. However, the film did not do well commercially. It got mostly mixed reviews.
- He played the lead role in the 1997 American superhero action film ‘Steel’. Written and directed by Kenneth Johnson, the film was based on the DC Comics character Steele. However, the film proved to be a commercial failure. Reviews were mostly negative. (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
- O’Neill appeared in several films over the next few years, including “The Wash” (2001), “The House Bunny” (2008), “Grown Ups 2”, (2013), and “Blended” (2014) . (Shaquille O Neal Bio)
Awards and Achievements
- Shaquille O’Neill’s amazing skills in basketball have earned him several awards, such as FIBA World Championship MVP (1994), USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (1994), and NBA Most Valuable Player (2000). (Shaquille O Neal Biography)
Personal life and Legacy
- Shaquille O’Neal married Shawnee Nelson in the year 2002. He has four children. He also has a daughter from a previous relationship with Arneta Yarberg. Shawnee and O’Neill eventually divorced.
- He currently resides in Orlando, Florida, where he has also built an indoor basketball court.
|for more details||Read More|